The Epidemic Diseases Act, 1897

The Cabinet Secretary on March 11, 2020, announced the invocation of provisions of Section 2 of the Epidemic Diseases Act,1897 to take special measures and prescribe regulations as to dangerous epidemic disease. As the number of cases is taking a heavy count in India, Government is trying its best to curb the spread of COVID-19 with the help of various legal provisions in India like the Disaster Management Act,2005, Indian Penal Code, 1860, and the Epidemic Diseases Act 1897, which is a 123-year-old law which was passed back in 1897 for the better prevention of the spread of dangerous epidemic disease. Most of us are aware of the existence of the Disaster Management Act, 2005, and the Indian Penal Code, 1860 (IPC), but, what is the Epidemic Diseases Act, 1897?

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.thelawbug.com/epidemic-act-1897/
1 Like

Very Good explanation, @iambandana

I’d like some clarification about Your loopholes, as such, as I read through the section 2, I didn’t understand what makes the law lack the understanding of ‘lethal’ ?

2 Likes

Thank you for your question. The point that I’m trying to explain to your question is that the legislation should have a proper set of definition of what are the essentials of a disease which can be considered as to be lethal. Few other people too have raised this question to me personally and I have come to a conclusion that it is difficult for the legislation to confine a definition to a set of boundaries so I would definitely contradict my own understanding and would improvise the same in my next blog. I hope I have replied to your query satisfactorily!

Thank you for your query, stay safe!

1 Like